This trap takes just minutes to assemble. And its design means that, after your kids have held them, the insects can be released back into the wild.
What you need:
- A garden trowel
- An empty baked bean tin with one end removed and filed down to remove sharp edges
- Four stones or marbles
- A tile or slate
What to do:
- Dig a small hole the size of the empty tin so it fits snugly inside without gaps around the edge and is level with the soil around it
- Then place the four small stones or marbles on the soil surface, outside the tin, an inch or two away from the edge
- Put the tile or slate on top of the stones to protect the catcher from rainfall, and this will create a damp shady area, perfect for attracting bugs out on a midnight stroll.
- After leaving for 24 hours, you should return to find just some of the creatures that visited your garden during the night
Note down your bugs and check again several times over a week to see how many your kids have collected before setting their new little friends free!