Chances are that the first biscuits you will have made at home or school were gingerbread men – and were eaten limb by limb until all that remained was a smiling gingerbread face! This is a great recipe, as they take no time at all to prepare and cook, and are low in sugar.
What you need:
- 350g plain flour
- 1 tsp bicarbonate of soda
- 100g softened butter
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 175g soft light brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 4 tbsp golden syrup
- Currants or icing tubes to decorate.
What to do:
- Grease a large baking tray and pre heat the oven to 190c /gas mark 5
- Pop the flour, bicarbonate of soda and ginger in a mixing bowl and rub in the butter
- Add the sugar and syrup and stir in the egg until it makes a firm dough
- Roll out your dough to ½ cm and cut out your gingerbread men with a cutter – or freehand if you like!
- Place your men on the tray, leaving space between them to spread while cooking
- Bake for 15 minutes until golden brown
- Leave to cool on a wire rack before decorating with currants or piped icing