It happens to the best of us: just as you tuck into your perfectly crafted burger, a big splodge of ketchup lands straight on your shirt. These bright red marks are hard to ignore, but (luckily for barbie fans everywhere) it’s easy to get rid of them – once you know how to get tomato ketchup out of clothes properly, that is.
Luckily, our guide below has got all the information you need to remove tomato sauce stains. You’ll be back to enjoy that burger in no time!
How to get tomato sauce out of clothes
In most cases, ketchup and other tomato sauce stains aren’t as bad as they look – so there’s no need to panic when a bright red mark appears on your new white blouse. What’s important is that you act as quickly as possible to keep the tomato sauce from fixing itself onto the fabric. Once dried, it will be much harder to remove.
Ready? Here’s how to remove tomato stains from clothes:
- Lift off the wet sauce with a card or a dull knife. The more sauce you can remove from the cloth, the better.
- Gently dab the stained area with a damp towel. This should flush out the worst of it.
- Treat the area with OMO Ultimate Liquid. This step is simple, but effective. Apply a small amount of your favourite OMO liquid onto the stain, and then use the Stain Eraser Ball that comes with it to rub the detergent into the fibres.
- Wash as usual. Use the Stain Eraser Ball (yes, this little tool has two very handy uses) to get the perfect dose of detergent, then either hand wash your clothing or pop it into the washing machine at a low 30°C. You can check the care label on your garment to see if the fabric is machine-friendly.
- Check the result. If you’re wondering how to remove tomato sauce stains that are really stubborn, the answer is: repetition! If you can still see some traces of the stain, perform steps 2 and 3 again.
- Let it dry. If you can, hang the garment outside to dry – this will help to restore its brightness. If the sun isn’t shining, you can also air-dry it inside or (if the care label allows it) use a tumble dryer.
Now that you know how to get ketchup out of clothes, you can keep calm whenever tomato-y disaster strikes. So put those burgers on the barbie, get out the ketchup, and enjoy your meal!