- Consult the garment care label
- Silk marked "Dry Clean Only" should not be washed
- Washing silk which is deeply colored is risky as the colors may run
- For washable silk garments, warm hand wash in a delicates or wool detergent
- Warm iron when fabric is still slightly and evenly damp
- For raw silk cool iron when dry
Trimmings on garments can affect how they are washed or which product is used. For example, if a garment has a leather collar the care label may say 'Dry Clean Only' even if the rest of the garment is washable.