If an item of clothing is heavily stained it may need soaking before you wash it.
First, make sure that:
- The colour will not run (check the care label)
- It is not wool, silk, leather, an article with a flame resistant finish or a garment with metal fasteners
- The detergent is fully dissolved before you put the garment in the water is not too hot for the fabric or dye
- The garment is not scrunched up
- White and coloured articles are not soaked together - especially white nylon you are not using an enamel bath or basin