If you’re looking for a new, creative and fun activity to do with your kids, why not try making mosaics? Not only are they beautiful to look at, but they are great fun to put together. If you’re not sure how to make a mosaic, or you need some mosaic ideas, our tips can help you get started.
How to make mosaic art
Making mosaics is easy, and all the materials you need are easy to find around the house. Get everything ready before you start and don’t forget to prepare your work surface to protect it against spills and stains.
To make a mosaic, you will need:
- Thick card
- Colourful paper
- Glue stick
Put some old newspaper down on your table to protect the surface and don’t forget to put the kids in some old clothes to help protect their best outfits from pesky glue stains. Next, follow these steps to make your mosaic:
- Make the base for your mosaic. It needs to be strong – thick craft paper or card is best but if you don’t have that to hard then think outside the box … literally! A cereal box is the perfect size for a project like this, so cut off the front and back and get cracking!
- Draw your design on the cardboard so that it is ready to fill with different colours. See our ideas for mosaic patterns below for a little inspiration.
- Take your coloured paper and cut it into squares. Be careful with the sizing you choose – too small and little fingers might have trouble making mosaics with them. About 3 - 4cm should be fine. If you want to get the kids involved in this step but they aren’t old enough to use scissors then why not tear the paper instead? You might also like to try making some different shapes, like triangles or circles.
- Glue the coloured squares or shapes onto your mosaic pattern and leave to try.
Always make sure you’re the one doing the cutting with scissors as this part might not be safe for little fingers. Once your mosaic masterpieces are dry, you can mount them, frame them, or just pin them on the fridge for all the family to admire.
Mosaic patterns to try
Now you know the basics of how to make a mosaic, you’ll need a pattern. When making mosaics with kids, simplicity is the key so stick with strong, bold lines and bright colours. If you’re stuck, here are a few mosaic ideas:
- Go back to nature with animals, plants, and fruit designs that are easy to draw. Look around your home for mosaic ideas and inspiration. The fruit bowl, your back garden, or even the family pet can all make interesting mosaic subjects.
- Combine making mosaics with a little history lesson. The ancient Greeks and Romans famously made mosaic floors for their villas and temples, so look to the ancients for some interesting mosaic patterns you can replicate today.
- What else has bright colours and bold lines? Cartoons and video game characters! If your little ones aren’t keen on making mosaics to start with, they might perk up if you challenge them to figure out how to make mosaic art of their favourite games.
- Go kaleidoscopic. Geometric patterns are great when you’re making mosaics – there’s no limit on colour, and you can experiment with symmetry. Some great templates are available to print and trace online but there’s no reason you can make your own.
There you have it – instructions on how to make a mosaic, and plenty of mosaic ideas. Have fun!