Make a Memory Tree of family keepsakes and help your kids learn more about their family members. Download the full guide here or follow the simplified instructions below.
What you’ll need:
- 2 x coat hangers
- Bottle caps
- Egg box
- Plastic bottles
- Plant pot
- Paints and paint brushes
- Ribbon and material
- Random small items to decorate the tree: feathers, sparkly decorations, and more
- Fallen sticks with lots of branches
How to make yours:
- Using the paints, encourage your kids to decorate the collection of sticks and branches. Once dry, the Memory Tree is ready to assemble by tying a selection of the colourful sticks together.
- Now it’s time for the sticks to be secured into the plant pot. To do this, carefully fill the base of the plant pot with polystyrene and stand the sticks into the polystyrene.
- To complete the tree, secure bottle caps, such as old lids from laundry bottles, to the branches with string, or hang them off coat hangers attached to the branches. For extra spectacle, make sure your kids decorate the baskets too! Once the entire tree is decorated and the baskets are in place, it’s time to collect some memories
- Now comes the important part, becoming a memory collector! It’s time for kids to get together with family members, asking them about the small personal souvenirs which mean a lot or make them smile. As they keep collecting, they’ll be amazed by the stories behind items the family has kept! Offer a pen and notebook to take notes, if your children are old enough.
- There are no limits on the objects they can gather, as long as the items can fit into a Memory Tree basket and are lightweight: think about holiday mementoes and souvenirs, tickets, badges, baby ID wrist tags, photos, jewellery - the possibilities are endless.
- Now your kids have planted all your family memories! Why not try one of our other Play with Purpose activities?
Make a Memory Tree of family keepsakes and help your kids learn more about their family members.