This exciting and messy Halloween party game will keep your kids entertained for hours. It’s best conducted outside to prevent any foam bubbling over onto the carpet – so there’s no need to worry about making a mess. For any splashes on your child's clothes have a peek at our Stain Removal Tips. Whether you’re having a small Halloween party with just you and your kids or a bigger one with all their friends, playing Halloween party games in the comfort of your own home or garden is a great alternative to trick-or-treating.
Of course, the kids can still dress up – in the kids' activities section you can find lots of ideas for homemade Halloween costumes and Halloween face painting. A witch or wizard is the perfect costume for this activity! Brew your Bubbling Witch’s Cauldron with your partygoers as a fun game to get them all involved in coming up with magic spells, and creating disgusting concoctions. Make sure everyone has a turn at stirring the cauldron and adding ingredients!
Ingredients for Your Halloween Party Game:
- A large bucket or container (as cauldron-like as you can find, or try painting a large bucket black)
- Baking soda
- Washing up liquid
- Food colouring (red or green are a good choice)
- Warm water
- A range of wonderfully disgusting potion ingredients such as…
- Spaghetti rats tails (cooked spaghetti with pink food colouring in the water when boiling)
- Alien eye balls (peeled grapes with one circle of grape skin left on in place of the iris)
- Witches fingers (green play dough shaped into fingers, with whole blanched almonds pressed into the dough for fingernails)
How to Brew Your Witch’s Potion
- Set up all of your ingredients. Simply putting your bits and pieces into an assortment of jars can be really effective, but you can be as creative as you want in creating spooky packaging for your potion ingredients. Also, put the baking powder into a fast-pour saltshaker or something similar so that it is quick and easy to add that bit of magic and fizz. Finally, make sure all your potion ingredients are set up somewhere close to your cauldron and easy to grab.
- Make your bubbles. Fill your cauldron with warm water, adding a generous amount of vinegar, a sprinkle of baking soda, a splash of food colouring, and a squirt of washing up liquid. When mixed together the vinegar, baking soda, and dishwashing detergent will react and create bubbling foam for your cauldron! Tip: the hotter the temperature, the more impressive the bubbling will be, so it may be worth leaving a bit of space for adding hot water later on if you plan to take your time mixing up your potion. (Be sure to always supervise little ones around boiling liquids).
- Let the magic begin! Encourage your little witches and wizards to let their imagination run wild, deciding what spooky magic their potion will conjure up, choosing their own mixture of horrible ingredients, and making up evil chants as they stir the bubbling cauldron. Add a good amount of baking soda at the beginning to get the fun started and let your kids add extra as and when they please throughout this magical Halloween party game.
And it’s not just Halloween party games for kids that we’ve got for you – check out our fun ideas for birthday party games here.
What did you put in your Bubbling Witch’s Cauldron? We’d love to hear your stories and ideas for other spooky kids’ Halloween party games. Let us know in a comment below.