New year greeting cards are a great way to let people know you’re thinking about them during this very special holiday period. Regardless of the way you choose to celebrate the New Year, friends and family will be delighted to receive new year cards in the mail – especially if the cards contain thoughtful new year wishes and are handmade and decorated by your children.
These two new year card designs are made with inexpensive household materials and can be adapted to however you like to suit your own family style. Don’t forget to protect clothes and surfaces before you start and consult our handy stain removing tips if any sticky accidents occur!
Homemade New Year Cards
Sitting down with your kids and helping them to make cards for friends and family can be great fun and a fantastic opportunity to let your child’s creativity run wild. This is one of the simplest New Year card designs.
All you need are the following materials:
- Coloured paper
- Coloured card
- Coloured pens
How to make your card:
- Fold a piece of coloured card in half to form the basis of your card.
- Select a piece of paper in a contrasting colour or pattern.
- Draw the numbers of the year on the front of the paper (or backwards on the back to avoid pen marks).
- Cut out the numbers and glue them onto the front of the card.
- Choose a coloured pen in a complementary colour to outline the numbers
- Optionally, decorate with glitter, stickers, or sequins – let your child’s imagination do the talking! Although things can get a little messy, remember that it’s easy enough to clear up afterwards – treasure the moment.
New Year’s Firework Cards
All over the world, people like to celebrate the new year with spectacular displays of fireworks – the inspiration for this easy New Year’s card design.
You will need:
- Blue or black card
- A silver or gold pen
- Glitter pens
- Star stickers
How to make your card:
- Fold the blue or black card in half to form the basis of your card – a starry night’s sky.
- Use the gold or silver pen to write ‘Happy New Year’ on the front of the card.
- With the glitter pens, draw swirls and spider-like shapes to resemble different types of fireworks.
- Add a few star stickers to give the impression of a dazzling night’s sky.
New Year Greeting Card Messages
Don’t forget to write a New Year message inside your card! Here are a few ideas you could use.
Try to write some simple rhymes like the following examples: Out with the old and in with the new, I made this card especially for you! Happy New Year!
Or something a little longer: Another year over, but where did it go? Time flies when you’re happy, as everyone knows. The past isn’t forgotten, all the memories we store So here’s to next year and a good many more!
As you can see, it doesn’t have to be overly poetic, just sincere and from the heart. A simple ‘Happy New Year, lots of love!’ is also equally appreciated. Here are some other examples of New Year’s messages:
- Wishing you a happy and healthy 2017!
- Wishing you a prosperous and happy New Year!
- Blessings and health to you and your family for the coming year!
- Have a wonderful 2017!
- New Year’s blessings to you and all your family!
- With every new year comes new opportunities. Have a successful 2017!