A secret den is where secrets are shared, memories made and adventures had. It not only acts as a playtime retreat, but also as a refuge for little ones who are looking to escape in a fun and exciting imaginary world. Your kids can create a real den in the garden or in the park from whatever they can find around them, spare bed sheets included. They will probably also be tempted to use the family pet as a wild animal that is on the prowl or as a trusty guard dog. And don’t worry about muddy feet and paws on your sheets – it’s nothing that OMO can’t handle.
What you need:
- Fallen branches
- Bracken, ferns, leaves and any foliage that is lying around,
- Ground sheet,
- Several enthusiastic kids,
- Spare bed sheets,
- Cushions from a garden furniture set,
- Snacks and drinks for once the den is built!
What to do:
- Arrange the biggest branches first to make a shelter structure
- Build up the 'walls' with smaller branches, and foliage
- Have an adult check the finished den and then hang the sheet over the foliage. Check it again before the kids go inside, just to make sure that it’s safe enough.
- Line the inside of the den with a plastic groundsheet, if you have one. Scatter the cushions over the groundsheet.
- Finally, lay out the snacks, eats and drinks once the den is complete, and accept that you’re going to be banned from the den as soon as it’s completedyour little ones are inside, as Tthere’s usually a ‘kids only’ rule!
If you play your cards right, you’ll probably get a brief opportunity to explore the inside of the den. Weather permitting, your little ones will want to spend the entire day outdoors. If grey clouds happen to spoil their fun, OMO has developed a variety of indoor activities.
Click here for more.