Birthdays are one of the most exciting things when you’re a kid. Your best friends from school, the never-ending supply of cakes, all of your favourite people coming together to celebrate your special day. But most importantly the group games that promise to give the kids a really fun time, especially when they’re small.
That’s why we set out to find the world’s very best games for kids’ parties. We can’t guarantee that the games we found won’t be a little bit of messy along the way, but we can be sure they’ll be plenty of laughter and learning while you play.
Group Games for Parties: The Wool Game
Playing party games is an inexpensive way to keep everyone entertained. 'Wool' is a popular French game. This game can be played in the garden or around the home; parents might tie brightly coloured pieces of wool from trees, or hide them behind plant pots or in containers filled with paint to make the game more of a challenge.
This group game is all about going on an adventure, so don’t worry about the children getting dirty because that’s all part of the fun.
You Will Need:
- Four children or more (in teams of two)
How to Play This Group Game for Kids
- Get the children all together and send them up into one room, closing the door to make sure they don’t peek. The game works best with more than three children. If you have very small children you can pair them up into teams with an older child helping the younger ones.
- Cut up different lengths of wool and hide them around the house – make sure your hiding places aren’t too hard otherwise this could be a very long game!
- Call the children down and explain that the wool has been hidden in secret hiding places around the house, and send them off to find them.
- They will need to knot together each length of wool they find. The team that has the longest length of wool wins.
Children will learn the importance of perseverance when playing this group game. They’ll have to overcome lots of obstacles as a team to find as many pieces of wool as they can. Tying the wool together is tricky too; tie big knots and the other team might win regardless of how much wool you’ve found!
Stain Removal Tip:
With all the crawling around on the floor, inside and out, this is where your kids clothes will suffer most wear and tear. Don’t worry too much, though – you can keep party clothes looking new for longer by using fabric conditioner and Persil detergent in every wash. It smoothes out the fibres, which can tangle and bobble, making sure your kids clothes are less prone to wear and tear. You can find lots more stain removal tips here.
The wool game is one of the best group games for kids to play indoors at birthday parties. If you’ve tried it, share with us your experiences and any other ideas you have for fun games for parties!