Not only is this a healthy kids’ activity, it also encourages little ones to take care of their plants. This will ensure that the plants yield a handful of delicious tomatoes and will also promote a sense of accomplishment. Growing a tomato plant is also an ideal way in which to bond with your kids! OMO believes that dirt is good, and this activity gives you and your little ones the perfect opportunity to get your hands dirty while learning a thing or two in the process!
Tomatoes are the ideal tasty veggie for kids to grow, as they don’t need much space, and the plant can be grown in a garden or on a balcony, as long as there’s plenty of sunlight. They’ll take a couple of months to grow, but once they’re ready, they produce plenty of delicious tomatoes to pick for snacks, salads and sauces!
What you need:
- A large pot or two
- Bamboo canes
- Non-chemical compost from your local garden centre
- A tomato plant seedling (or seeds)
What to do:
- Encourage your kids to be part of the process. Help them to add some compost to their pots.
- Dampen the soil and dig a deep hole into the pot using a stick.
- Pop your tomato plant seedling into the hole and fill with more compost.
- Stick a bamboo cane into the soil next to the plant so that it has support as it grows. When it gets taller, you can tie it gently to the cane using a piece of string.
- Water it well and often as tomatoes love moisture and sunlight.
- After about eight weeks, your kids will be able to pick their juicy tomatoes and enjoy!
Ensure that you’re equipped with OMO’s intelligent detergents to combat the aftermath of soil smudges and stains. It is important to remember that OMO removes stains faster to ensure that you have more time to spend with your little ones. Enjoy!