These are brilliant fun to make and, once painted with bright colours and patterns, look fabulous in kids’ rooms. They’re also a great incentive to save up those pennies if you add a money slot afterwards. Once full, they can be cut open and the contents counted and saved or spent!
What you need
- Several newspapers or packs of tissue paper
- PVA glue
- Poster paints
- Egg cartons
- Pipe cleaners
- Thick art brushes
What to do
- Blow up your balloon to the size you want your animal.
- Tear your newspaper or tissue paper into strips 2cm x 10cm and stick onto the balloon using a mix of glue and water (half and half). You can rest the balloon on a mug while you’re doing this.
- Once you’ve added 3-4 layers, leave the balloon in a warm place until it dries and goes hard.
- Add legs by cutting out the individual egg holders from an egg carton, and paint and decorate your animal as you choose.
- Once dry, coat with a thick layer of glue and wait until it dries rock hard and varnished.
- Using a craft knife, cut a money slot in the top of your finished sculpture, and your work of art is ready to collect your cash!